To Educate ethical and humanistic citizens, leaders and entrepreneurs, of high professional quality, sense of belonging, social and environmental responsibility, capable of generating development, in the Caribbean region and the country, translated into progress and prosperity opportunities for the society around them in an environment of equity, peace, coexistence, and respect for human rights.
In 2019, the Universidad del Magdalena will be recognized at a national and international level for its high-quality standards, higher education offer, and the human development of its members. Also, due to its dynamic organization, its modern campus and its commitment to research, to innovate, and to generate a social and environmental responsibility.
- To direct and administer the selection process, registration, enrollment and academic record.
- To direct and control the academic process of the students, from their enrollment to their graduation.
- To update, prepare and submit reports based on the characteristics of the student population.
- To design and propose strategies and develop actions that support the core and multidisciplinary instruction.
- To establish the student needs in terms of training and academic importance and to propose actions to follow, in order to qualify and guarantee an excellent education.
- To provide information to the responsible dependency for the design and adoption of the respective University Welfare programs.
- To conduct studies on the results of the evaluation of academic performance and dropout, and to propose strategies that favor the permanence and timely completion of their studies.
- To Propose and ensure the application of the stimuli that motivate the development of the abilities of students in training, research and knowledge management.
- Direct and execute actions aimed of knowledge developing and student creativity, taking into account their potential.
Since the creation of the DDE, it has been working on responding to the needs of students from an integral and differential approach, prioritizing population groups with specific academic needs through the following actions:
- Articulation of the DDE with the academic units: University Welfare Directorate, Department of General Studies and languages, Departments and academic programs Office of the Registrar and Academic Control, Admissions regarding the design, orientation, coordination and direction of projects focused on strengthening strategies for higher education accessibility, permanence, and graduation.
- Creation of eight programs which stand out the following: Uni-Diversity (UniDiversidad) (learning-disabled students with differential ability scales), Counseling and vocational strengthening focused on freshmen students project, readmission program, Emotional Crossfit program, among others.
- Strengthening the processes of academic and administrative management of the assistantship program.
- Traceability of the behavior of risk factors associated with the Permanence as the Student Dropout, standing out analysis of the academic failure and multiple repetitions, critical subjects, academic probation status, special benefits, among others.
- Strengthening the system of analysis, monitoring, and evaluation of student desertion.
- Establishment of inter-institutional alliances with companies and foundations that favor access to higher education for permanence and graduation (Fundacion Bancolombia- Jóvenes Pescaíto, MEN- Ser Pilos Paga, ICETEX- population victim of the armed conflict, Ministry of Defense- beneficiaries of soldiers and police).
- Support the Academic Vice-Presidency Office and the program departments in addressing the pedagogical situations evidenced in the subjects with high disapproval, high cancellation rate, through the establishment of an articulated work plan among teachers, students, and directors.
- The positioning of the DDE at an institutional level recognized by the academic community.
- Visibility of the role of sign language interpreters and the improvement of their working conditions.